For those of you who are non-Tweeters, Twitter has a feature that lists the most frequent words or #hashtags at a given time. These so-called Trending Topics can be quite useful but can often times harmful. Let’s break it down.
Let’s begin with the good things:
- Provide a snapshot view of the current things going on
- You can select which geographic area’s topics you would like to view (Worldwide, Your country, & City Specific)
- Provide an excellent way to find out breaking news before the media can even report it (This is actually how I found out about the death of (Amy Winehouse)
- Is an excellent way for marketers to promote their product or service
- The best way for rumors to be spread (i.e. false celebrity deaths or other news)
- Trending prejudice (i.e. #PearlHarbor when Japan was defeating the US team during the women’s World Cup)
- People adding a trending topic to their tweet that isn’t relevant – SO ANNOYING!